Thursday, March 18, 2010

Curried Egg Salad

 I never buy eggs, but I have a few (beautiful) chickens that produce a few for me. I enjoy egg dishes, but only if they are done right.


I use plain yogurt in place of mayo in this salad (don't miss it.. can't even tell!!) I also tossed in some curry powder, celery, and onion. I think it would be great spread on bread with lots of lettuce atop.. or forgo the bread and wrap it in lettuce by itself!
Delicious and satisfying.

Curried Egg Salad Recipe

Use any type of onion you like here, I think it would be fine if using yellow, white, or red..

5 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
3-6 tablespoons plain yogurt (depends on how creamy you want it. I tend to lean toward 6 )
2 big pinches of salt
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)

First off, you need to cook the eggs.
Place the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water by a 1/2-inch or so. Bring to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for around seven minutes. Then place them in an ice bath for 3 minutes, or so - long enough to stop the cooking.

Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, curry powder and salt in a tiny bowl. Set aside.

Crack and peel each egg, and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add the curried yogurt, salgtt, onions, celery, and pecans. Now mash a bit with a fork. Don't overdo it though. I like texture, you might too.. If you need to add a bit more plain yogurt to moisten up the mixture a bit, go for it a bit at a time. taste and add more salt if needed. Enjoy as-is, or served wrapped in lettuce or on bread!

Serves 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment